Private William Jamieson
4th Battalion, Cameron Highlanders
Died 9 June 1917
It is not clear why William Jamieson is named on Wigtown War Memorial as his association with the town is unclear. Perhaps he worked here. He was born on 3 February 1893 at Port William, the only son of James Jamieson, a mason, and his wife, Janet Parker. He served with the 4th Battalion, Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) as a motor driver. It is not clear precisely when Private Jamieson signed up but the 4th Battalion was in Hamilton in August 1914 when war broke out. The Battalion became a training unit and remained in Britain throughout the war. In August 1914 it moved to Gourock and then in April 1916 to Greenock. During the First World War, the Clyde was the most important British centre of production of warships: 43 per cent of the tonnage of ships ordered by the Admiralty between 1914 and 1919 was built in the Clyde yards so there was clearly a need for a strong defense force. In 1917 the battalion took over coastal defence work at Haddington and in June 1918 moved to Edinburgh for duty with the Forth Garrison.
William Jamieson was taken ill and admitted to Greenock Infirmary some time in 1917. His life could not be saved and he died on 9 June 1917; his death certificate records that he died of Tuberculosis, meningitis and endocarditis.
The Galloway Gazette (16 June 1917) carried a brief report:
JAMIESON – On the 9th inst suddenly at Greenock Infirmary, Private William Jamieson, Scottish Rifles, only son of James and Janet Jamieson, Mid Barsalloch, Port William aged 24 years. Sadly missed.
William Jamieson is buried at Greenock Cemetery and he is named on both Wigtown and Port William War Memorials.